Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Progress continues slow

Meg's neuro-oncologist wants to put her back on the chemotherapy she was on previously but was concerned, at our visit last Friday, that her wound might be infected. She's been put on antibiotics, and her surgeon and assistant, at our visit today (Tuesday) were happy with her healing, and didn't see any signs of infection. She'll finish the antibiotics and return next Monday for a ruling as to when to restart the chemotherapy. Meg's sister is visiting this weekend: should make the time till the next medical appointment speed by!

Meg has been in considerable pain, and has found both eating and sleeping to be difficult: the surgeon noted that both problems were expected after a second brain operation, chemotherapy and radiation, and that Meg's progress was typical. In the last few days Meg's managing to rest more during the day than she did previously, and last night she managed to sleep the whole night without having to get up for pain pills, something she had not previously managed. We knew that recovery would be harder this time, but we hadn't realized quite how hard. She continues to be stoic and determined, as you would expect of her!

One very minor triumph: I was wracking my brains for a suitable dinnertime treat for Meg - something thin enough and soft enough for her to be able to eat without a struggle. I realized that English "After Eight Mints" would be ideal, and recalled seeing them in stores in Seattle in recent memory. I scoured all the stores I could think of and found none. Salvation: an English colleague about to return from a trip home asked me what I needed from the UK, and Meg is now the proud owner of two boxes of eminently edible English treats. Thank you, Janet!

No comments:

Post a Comment